Praat is a great software package written and maintained by David Weenink and Paul Boersma of the University of Amsterdam. Free to use, with open source code, there is simply no superior package for linguists to use in analyzing speech.
To generate a short list of what this means, Praat allows you to achieve spectral, formant, pitch and intensity examination, as well as examine jitter, shimmer or voice breaks.
- spectral analysis (spectrograms)
- pitch study
- formant study
- intensity study
- shimmer, jitter, voice breaks
- excitation pattern
- from pitch, formant, and intensity
- Klatt acoustic synthesis
- articulatory synthesis
Labelling and segmentation:
- label intervals or time marks on many levels
- use phonetic alphabet
- use sound documents of almost 2 gigabytes (3 hours)
- customize pitch or length contours
- feedforward neural networks
- stochastic and discrete Optimality Theory
- multidimensional scaling
- main component analysis
- discriminant analysis
- Convert audio files.
- Analyses sound in detail.
- Complex for non-linguists.
|Developer||Paul Boersma/David Weenink | see all products from this developer|
|Last Week Downloads||4|
|All Time Downloads||6,182|
|OS Support||Windows All|
|Category||Audio & Video|
100% CLEAN Certification
Praat has been tested by Download82.com team against viruses, spyware, adware, trojan, backdoors and was found to be 100% clean. Our editors will recheck this software periodically to assure that it remains clean.