- Contains more than 6000 idioms from all over the English speaking world
- Many of illustrative quotations, both historical and modern, are offering readers a good idea of how the phrases can be used
- Additional features offer delightful additional information for many entries
- Easy to work with, containing many cross-references, making it great for quick reference.
- Most effective alternative words given first, with word closest in context to entry word given in bold
- Draws on the newest findings of Oxford's language control, the biggest dictionary research software in the world
The dictionary takes a new look at the idiomatic phrases and statements that make English the rich and appealing language that it is and bundles entries for more than 6000 idioms. These contain a range of recently settled idioms such as "go figure", "the elephant in the corner", "sex on legs", "like a rat up a drainpipe", "too posh to push","step up to the plate", "win ugly", "a walk in the park".
Many entries include extra features which give more accurate background on the idiom in question. For example, did you know that "taken aback" was endorsed from nautical terminology that characterized a ship not able to move forward because of a powerful headwind pressing its sails back opposite to the mast?
A search tool
Including autocomplete search to help you discover words fast by seeing search forecast that might be very much alike to the search terms you are typing. The search also allows numerous search options as:
- A fuzzy filter for when you are undecided of the correct orthography
- A keyword search for searching key words within phrasal verbs
A learning tool
The dictionary application offers a number of features which help you to increase your vocabulary further:
- A Favorites feature enables you to generate your own categories and lists of words from the expansive library, which bundles all cross-curriculum words
|Name||Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms|
|Developer||Mobile Systems inc | see all products from this developer|
|Product Homepage||Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms|
|License||Free to try (Shareware)|
|Last Week Downloads||5|
|All Time Downloads||56,903|
|OS Support||Windows All|
|Category||Home & Education|