FreeBSD is an operating system for a range of platforms which focuses on speed, features, and stability. It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX designed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is maintained and developed and by a big community.
FreeBSD offers complex networking, performance, compatibility and security features today which are still absent in other operating systems, even some of the finest commercial ones.
- Firewalls: The base system bundles IPFilter and IPFW, as well as a changed version of the popular pf with enhanced SMP performance. IPFW also integrates the dummynet feature, enabling network administrators to simulate adverse network situations, including jitter, latency, packet loss and restricted bandwidth.
- Jails environments are a lightweight alternative to virtualization. Enabling processes to be limited to a namespace with access only to the network addresses and file systems designated to that namespace. Jails environments are also Hierarchical, allowing jails-within-jails.
- Linux emulation grants a system call translation layer that enables unmodified Linux binaries to be run on FreeBSD systems.
- DTrace offers a complete framework for troubleshooting and tracing kernel and application performance problems while under live load.
- The Ports Collection is a set of more than 23.000 third party programs that can be easily installed and run on FreeBSD. The ports architecture also grants for easy customization of the accumulated time options of many of the programs.
- Network Virtualization: A container ("vimage") has been integrated, extending the FreeBSD kernel to keep more independent instances of networking state. Vimage facilities can be used alone to create completely virtualized network topologies, and jail can automatically take advantage of a completely virtualized network stack.
- Offers complex performance and compatibility.
- Includes powerful firewalls.
- It needs to be configured manually.
- The installation may take some time.
|Developer||The FreeBSD Project | see all products from this developer|
|Last Week Downloads||2|
|All Time Downloads||20,392|
|OS Support||Linux, Unix|