DSL was built at first as an experiment, but over time the application grew into a comprehensive community project with lots of development hours. The project offers a powerful and flexible backup and restore system which supports any writable media including a floppy drive, USB device or a hard drive. A wide range of command line utilities is also available.
DSL's desktop provides a set of application which ensures the best balance of size, functionality and speed.
Damn Small also acts as a FTP / SSH / HTTPD server which runs directly on a live CD. The interface is simple and easy to us.
Although Damn Small Linux is very small in size, the application is smart enough to do a wide range of things, including:
- Boot directly from a USB drive or a business card CD
- Boot from within another operating system
- Run smoothly on an IDE Compact Flash drive
- Turn itself into a Debian distribution
- Extend its capabilities without the need of customization
- Run even on a 486DX with only 16MB of Ram
- It's easy to instrall and configure.
- It's very small in size and provides increased functionality.
- The interface is rather clunky.
- The text in some areas is tricky-to-read.
|Name||Damn Small Linux|
|Developer||John Andrews | see all products from this developer|
|Product Homepage||Damn Small Linux|
|Last Week Downloads||71|
|All Time Downloads||36,419|
|OS Support||Linux, Unix|
100% CLEAN Certification
Damn Small Linux has been tested by Download82.com team against viruses, spyware, adware, trojan, backdoors and was found to be 100% clean. Our editors will recheck this software periodically to assure that it remains clean.